Service Charter - Introduction & Function
We are the Forestry Commission under the Ministry of Lands, Forestry and Mines of the Republic of Ghana.
To sustainably develop and manage Ghana’s forestry and wildlife resources.
|VISION:To leave future generations and its communities with richer, better, more valuable forestry and wildlife endowments than we inherited.
- create, protect and manage the permanent forest estates and protected areas in the various ecological zones of the country to conserve Ghana’s biophysical heritage.
- prepare and implement integrated forest and wildlife management plans for the maintenance of the environment to the benefit of all segments of society.
- regulate the harvesting of timber, wildlife and other non-timber forest products.
- vet and register contracts and issue permits for export of forest and wildlife products
- track the movements of timber, wood and wildlife products.
- monitor the harvesting and marketing of forest and wildlife products.
- develop and enforce appropriate industrial standards and trade guidelines for timber and wildlife products.
- promote value addition as well as increased use of lesser known timber and wildlife species to ensure the optimization of utilization and benefits of forest and wildlife resources.
- provide market intelligence to inform both Government and industry on pricing, trade and product trends.
- provide technical services in the development and utilization of forest and wildlife resources.
|WE ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR:
- coordinating, implementing as well as enforcing of policies, laws and regulation on development, management and regulation of the utilization of forest and wildlife resources.
- assisting the private sector and other bodies with the implementation of forest and wildlife policies
- Promotion of public awareness on forest and wildlife management.
- advising and providing technical services with regards to matters of resource protection, management and development of market intelligence pertaining to forest and wildlife industries
- advising and providing technical services for forest plantation for the restoration of degraded forest and environmental conservation in general.
- advising and providing technical services on wild animal breeding facilities for restocking depleted areas and improving wild animal availability to the general public.
- the coordination of policies related to the conservation, management and development of forest and wildlife resources.
- we are responsible for conducting pre-shipment inspection for forest and wildlife resources.